- The Electronic Privacy Information Center a public interest research center in Washington, D.C. It was established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy, the First Amendment, and constitutional values.
- Privacy International is a human rights group formed in 1990 as a watchdog on surveillance by governments and corporations. PI is based in London, England, and has an office in Washington, D.C. PI has conducted campaigns throughout the world on issues ranging from wiretapping and national security, to ID cards, video surveillance, data matching, police information systems, medical privacy, and freedom of information and expression.
- The American Civil Liberties Union works to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed to every person in the United States by its Constitution and laws.
- Privaterra is an organization that provides technological education and support for civil society organizations (especially Human Rights NGOs) in the area of data privacy, secure communications and information security.
- The American Library Association is the oldest and largest library association in the world, with more than 64,000 members. Its mission is to promote the highest quality library and information services and public access to information.
- Consumer Federation of America is an advocacy, research, education, and service organization.
- Consumer Project on Technology was started by Ralph Nader in 1995 and is currently focusing on intellectual property rights and health care, electronic commerce (very broadly defined) and competition policy.
- Consumers Union publisher of Consumer Reports, is an independent, nonprofit testing and information organization serving only consumers. They are a comprehensive source for unbiased advice about consumer concerns including privacy protections.
- The Electronic Frontier Foundation is a donor-supported membership organization working to protect our fundamental rights regardless of technology; to educate the press, policymakers and the general public about civil liberties issues related to technology; and to act as a defender of those liberties.
- Junkbusters is a privacy advocacy firm that helps people get rid of junk messages of all kinds: spam, telemarketing calls, unwanted junk mail, junk faxes, and more. Its web site, junkbusters.com, is a leading consumer resource on the control of junk communications and the protection of privacy.
- Privacy Rights Clearinghouse is a nonprofit consumer information and advocacy program. It offers consumers a unique opportunity to learn how to protect their personal privacy.
- The U.S. Public Interest Research Groups are an alliance of state-based, citizen-funded organizations that advocate for the public interest. The state PIRGs' mission is to deliver persistent, result-oriented activism that protects the environment, encourages a fair marketplace for consumers and fosters responsive, democratic government.
- Bits of Freedom is a privacy and digital rights organisation based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Major topics of concern to Bits of Freedom are copyright, the balance between law enforcement and privacy, freedom of speech and spam.
- The European Digital Rights Initiative is a coalition of groups working to defend civil rights in the information society, specifically regarding the internet, copyright and privacy in the European Union.
- The Danish Institute for Human Rights is a national human rights institution in accordance with the UN Paris Principles, which became part of the Danish Centre for International Studies and Human Rights on January 1, 2003.
- The Center for Democracy and Technology works to promote democratic values and constitutional liberties in the digital age.
- Statewatch monitors the state and civil liberties in the European Union. The site provides links to Statewatch online news and publications, information about openness and secrecy in the EU, information about the EU-FBI telecommunications surveillance plan, and a link to the Statewatch search database.